Pursuant to Public Health Order No. CI9-07 dated 16 March 2020, announced by San Francisco Mayor London Breed today, Monday, 16 March 2020, all residents of San Francisco are being required to take shelter at their place of residence, until at least April 7, 2020. San Francisco is joining five other Bay Area counties in issuing a shelter-in-place order. The other counties are Contra Costa, Marin, Alameda, Santa Clara and San Mateo.
Under this Order, the following are being implemented:
- Essential Activities – Residents may leave their residences only in accessing basic necessities, such as
ü Tasks essential to maintain health and safety, such as obtaining medicine or seeing a doctor;
ü Getting necessary services or supplies for themselves or their family or household members, such as getting food and supplies, pet food, laundry, and getting supplies necessary for staying at home;
ü Engaging in outdoor activity, such as walking, hiking, or running provided that you maintain at least six feet of social distancing;
ü Performing work providing essential services at an Essential Business or Essential Government function
ü Caring for a family member in another household;
ü Caring for elderly, minors, dependents, persons with disabilities, or other vulnerable persons.
- Essential Infrastructures – Residents may leave to perform any work necessary to the operations and maintenance of essential infrastructures, such as public works construction, communications, water gas, sewer, electrical and solid waste management, provided that social distancing requirements are observed.
- Essential Businesses– All first Responders, emergency management personnel, emergency dispatchers, court personnel, and law enforcement personnel and those working for or to support essential business, such as government personnel providing health, safety and welfare of the public, are exempt from this order, provided that social distancing measures are observed.
- Minimum Basic Operations – Necessary activities to maintain value of the business’s inventory, ensure security, process payroll and employee benefits, or related functions,provided that social distancing requirements are observed.
- Essential Travel – Any travel related to essential activities, essential government functions, essential business, or minimum basic operations, provided that social distancing requirements are observed.
The dramatic restrictions, imposed under a city-issued Public Health Order, will also require non-essential businesses like bars and gyms to close. But pharmacies, banks and other businesses that perform an “essential” role for society will be allowed to remain open.
In a statement ahead of a City Hall press conference with city officials, Mayor Breed urged the public to remain calm and emphasized “that all essential needs will continue to be met.”